Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Last Lecture !! No Im Not Dying.

So its 430 pm , its about to be the end of days play in the OPD and suddenly the Senior doctor asked me to take a lecture the next morning for a bunch of students who at that point were in their hostel rooms wondering,whats the whole point of med school when Sir Ravindra Jadeja can play IPL and make Crores of money and trend on twitter every fucking day !!

So it was scheduled for the next day for about 80 odd students out of which maybe just a few were looking forward to the lecture as Charlie Sheen was regarding beating up his Ex wife.
That " Good Mooooorrrrnnniinggg Sir " in unison reminded me of kids who are a part of  those Christmas Choir in school.Felt good to say " Sit Down " ( always wanted to do that once before i get whipped n married).

Since it was a lecture about Eye and its Sugery felt like opening with a joke like " If something goes wrong during Eye surgery ... THERE IS NO LOOKING BACK " but then why wake the ones who were sleeping peacefully.Its a totally different ball game when ur back is facing the board and ur up there all alone.Ill be honest,I had a constant feeling which got stronger every 5 mins that " what if my Fly is open ".Luckily unlike most of our friend's FB relationship status it wasn't Open.

The lecture reminded me of my own days as a Med School undergraduate where as soon as the lecture starts and till it ends there are always those assholes who keep nodding at every eye contact the lecturer makes with them.We all agree,we HATE the Nodder.And then there is that bunch of three good friends who are at some point in the lecture planning their own trip to Spain like those three do in the movie ZNMD.I went to school in the 90's so we had our Dil Chahta Hai Goa Trip.But my Fav ones were the ones who were thinking they're in love and waiting for the WhatsApp " Last Seen at ... turn to Online .... turn to Typing .... "

Ill save you the boring part of the lecture which of course was what the students had to endure and then as soon as the lecture ended as cliched as it might sound,everyone had a sigh of relief just like we would after sitting through a Tushar Kapoor movie.Then there were some who were talking chitchatting and I felt like telling them what most Indian Men tell their partners in bed " Keep Quiet and just finish doing your Job " but then I was just hoping my name does not end up between a Dick graffiti on the back benchers desk or a hate  post on the college FB Confession page.

The Dalai Lama once said and I quote " There is a special bond that binds all of us " . . .  . . and I felt it that day at the end of the lecture when it was my turn to take,and their turn to give/mark in their ' Attendance '.More than the early morning breakfast,the Attendance is at that moment the most important thing to do of the day.

Was a pretty good lecture but I still regret making two gross errors i.e Using a Chalk and wearing a Black Shirt to the lecture . Nevertheless Im hoping more and more people will wish me " Happy Teachers Day " not coz I popped my cherry by taking a lecture but coz I once TAUGHT my Ex-GF not to boss around with me,no matter what "

The class is dismissed you can go back to sleep or click here for the most amazing lecture I've seen
 Randy Pausch : Last Lecture 





No comments: